Welcome back for round 2 of my new What Makes You Happy? guest series. I have the pleasure of introducing the beautiful Louise this week, she is such an inspirational person, you won’t need to get far down this page to see why. I absolutely love her contribution to this series, it’s a relatable read which left me feeling uplifted and I’m sure it will have the same effect on you too…
My name is Louise, I’m a 23 year old author from South Wales. I graduated from university in 2015 with a degree in Education and Early Childhood Studies; after this I spent a year at home due to agoraphobia. I came across Mindfulness and it helped pull me out of a dark space, I have had anxiety and depression since a child and so when I found Mindfulness all I wanted to do was help others. This is why I decided to write Mindful Millie, a book to teach children how to be mindful so that they can cope with what the future may bring and be present for the happy moments.
I spend my time volunteering for Samye Foundation Wales which is a Mindfulness and Wellbeing charity. At the moment I’m their Financial Administrator but I help with whatever I can. I’m about to start a Beauty Therapy course too, I decided on this because the thought of being able to help people relax and feel happier about themselves drew me in. I often blog about my mental health, my journey with infertility and how I use Mindfulness every day; you can find my blog here, I’m also on Facebook & Twitter.
Things that make me happy:
- Feeling as though I have a purpose – A huge struggle when you have depression is trying to find a reason to fight, and to tell that voice in your head that you are not a waste of space. I once wrote a blog about how Mindfulness changed the way I think about myself and my worth, you can read it here.
- Spending time with my dogs – There is something about dogs that just fills me with happiness. When I’m unwell my dogs are always there to comfort me and to make me feel loved. However sad I am, they always manage to make me smile, whether they cuddle me, bring me a toy or just get up to mischief, they are so cute they lift my heart.
- Spreading kindness – It feels good to give! It’s like the episode of friends where Phoebe and Joey debate whether there is such a thing as a selfless good deed – it’s a win win situation though right?
- Seeing friends always makes me happy – It’s really nice to have company and it gives me something to look forward to.
- Nature – one of my favourite quotes is “look deep into nature and you will understand everything better”. There is nothing I love more than sitting in the middle of a field, a forest, by the river or on the beach and just being mindful of my surroundings, the noise, smell, view and how I feel right in that moment.
- Smiling – It literally works and the best part is, if you smile at others and get them to smile back you will brighten their day too.