Welcome back for round 2 of my new What Makes You Happy? guest series. I have the pleasure of introducing the beautiful Louise this week, she is such an inspirational person, you won’t need to get far down this page to see why. I absolutely love her contribution to this series, it’s a relatable read which left me feeling uplifted and I’m sure it will have the same effect on you too…
My name is Louise, I’m a 23 year old author from South Wales. I graduated from university in 2015 with a degree in Education and Early Childhood Studies; after this I spent a year at home due to agoraphobia. I came across Mindfulness and it helped pull me out of a dark space, I have had anxiety and depression since a child and so when I found Mindfulness all I wanted to do was help others. This is why I decided to write Mindful Millie, a book to teach children how to be mindful so that they can cope with what the future may bring and be present for the happy moments.
I spend my time volunteering for Samye Foundation Wales which is a Mindfulness and Wellbeing charity. At the moment I’m their Financial Administrator but I help with whatever I can. I’m about to start a Beauty Therapy course too, I decided on this because the thought of being able to help people relax and feel happier about themselves drew me in. I often blog about my mental health, my journey with infertility and how I use Mindfulness every day; you can find my blog here, I’m also on Facebook & Twitter.
Things that make me happy…
1. Feeling as though I have a purpose: A huge struggle when you have depression is trying to find a reason to fight, and to tell that voice in your head that you are not a waste of space. I once wrote a blog about how Mindfulness changed the way I think about myself and my worth, you can read it here.
2. Spending time with my dogs! There is something about dogs that just fills me with happiness. When I’m unwell my dogs are always there to comfort me and to make me feel loved. However sad I am, they always manage to make me smile, whether they cuddle me, bring me a toy or just get up to mischief, they are so cute they lift my heart.
3. Spreading kindness! It feels good to give! It’s like the episode of friends where Phoebe and Joey debate whether there is such a thing as a selfless good deed – it’s a win win situation though right?
4. Seeing friends always makes me happy, it’s really nice to have company and it gives me something to look forward to.
5. Nature – one of my favourite quotes is “look deep into nature and you will understand everything better”. There is nothing I love more than sitting in the middle of a field, a forest, by the river or on the beach and just being mindful of my surroundings, the noise, smell, view and how I feel right in that moment.
6. Smiling: It literally works and the best part is, if you smile at others and get them to smile back you will brighten their day too.