Welcome back for round 4 of my What Makes You Happy? guest series. I would like to thank Natalie for being so open and honest with us here, she may not have a blog anymore but she has a really important story to share which shows just how much we can turn our life around…
Hello, my name is Natalie and I’m a 24 year old mum of two boys. I’ve tried my hand at blogging and vlogging but I’m no good at either so I’m just a Twitter mamma (you can find me here). I live with my partner Chris who I’ve been with for 6 years… We’ve just recently bought a house together and we have a son called Jace who is almost 4 years old and a 2 week old son called Jaxon. I think this is such a great project and want to thank Katie for having me on board even though I don’t own a blog!
This is my story..
Growing up I struggled with depression, for 7 years it was a constant battle with myself, my parents, school, alcohol and self-harm. At 15 years old I tried to take my own life and ended up in hospital, at 16 I took an overdose and cut myself with a kitchen knife that needed 20 stitches, and at 17 I started using drugs. It wasn’t until I met Chris when I was 18 that I decided enough was enough and I went to the doctors to get help. At 19 I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and I was prescribed anti-depressants, but a couple of months after my diagnosis I fell pregnant and decided I’d try and get better without medication. I changed myself and my perspective, I have a different outlook on life now, I realise that each day is a blessing and I’m thankful for everything. My life could have turned out very different and I’m lucky to be here. Things aren’t perfect, some days are a struggle, sometimes we struggle financially, we could do with a new car and I definitely need a new bathroom. We argue sometimes, but who doesn’t? Having a toddler and a newborn is draining but I love them. I’m happy… 90% of the time anyway. The 10% is me wishing I had a body and a bank balance like Kim K but we can’t have everything!
So here are my 5 things that make me happy:
- Me time – Time spent doing things I like such as getting a nice bubble bath and reading a good book. Listening to music, writing in my diary, drinking a bottle of wine or two… You know things that are good for your soul! Like Mrs fletcher said.. Happy mum, happy baby.
- Time with family/friends – It’s important to spend time with people who you love and appreciate. We go to Chris’s parents’ house once or twice a week for tea, he has a very close relationship with his parents. We visit my grandparents every weekend and I try to make time to see my friends too, it’s good to get out and remember that I am only 24 and I can still party and have a good time! Days out with the kids, seeing them happy makes me happy. Also spending time with the other half, movie night, date night or just binge watching breaking bad with a few beers is good too!
- Holidays/travelling – To get away from routine, work and other commitments even if it is just going to tot’s weekend at Butlins! It’s good to get away and have a break. My dream is to do a road trip down the east coast of America, starting in New York, then to South Carolina and finally Florida, but Spain might have to do until we can afford that haha.
- Positive thinking – Waking up every day and being thankful I’m healthy and the people I love are healthy. That we have a house over our head, food on our table and clothes on our backs. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed, we never what’s around the corner, so it’s important to be thankful for what we have and to try and be as positive as we can in every situation. ‘It’s a bad day, not a bad life’
- The little things – My partner coming home and giving me a kiss and asking how my day was. Taking the kids to the park, picking Jace up from school, face timing with my mum, having a good natter with my friends, eating a bacon butty and cuddles with my newborn are just some of the little things that make me happy. Life is made up of all these little things.
Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain!