Welcome everyone, thank you for joining us for week 5 of my What Makes You Happy? guest series. I’m super excited to introduce Beth (a.k.a Miss Anxiety) to you, she was one of the first people I ever had a DM conversation with on Twitter and instantly I knew we’d keep in touch, Beth has such an amazing kind-hearted nature, and her guest post perfectly sums up everything I had hoped for this series…
Hello there, everyone! My name is Beth, I’m 21 and I am a mental health advocate running a YouTube channel named Miss Anxiety. (That was such a game-show introduction!) First and foremost I would like to thank Katie for involving me in this wonderful guest blogger series – What Makes You Happy? I’m sure you’ll all be aware of the famous quote “Happiness is a journey, not a destination” Sometimes it takes some real thinking power to realise that, actually, the little things in life are the big things. Anyway, enough clichés from me!
Here is my list of things that make me happy:
- Rain – Living in the UK we get quite a lot of the wet stuff! There is something so calming about rain. It’s cleansing. Healing. It washes away the bad and helps the good grow. I find rain is a great reminder that things change. And that’s not always a bad thing!
- Music – How dull would the world be without music? I know I couldn’t live without it! Playing my piano always helps me to claw back control of a bad day.
- Horses – I am a huge animal lover. But there is something about horses that makes me feel so peaceful. I’m very lucky to own my own horse and a visit up to see him always makes me smile. The face he pulls when he recognises me pulling into the stable yard. The playful nose shoving he does when he wants more food. Even just sitting cross legged in the field for an hour watching him eat brings me right back to Earth.
- Baking – Baking is something I’ve fallen in love with recently. I love flicking through recipe books and finding a yummy dessert to make for Sunday dinner! But what really fulfils me is knowing that the dessert is made out of love. (Super cheesy, I know!)
- House Decorating – As the seasons change there is always an opportunity to change up your living space. I love a reason to visit home stores! Adding little touches to my house makes me so happy. Whether it’s some new scented candles or you’ve accidentally bought the entire store… it’s worth it!
- Family Dinners – There is nothing better, for me, than getting the family together over an amazing meal. These are the moments I really try and freeze frame in my mind. I try my best to remember the conversation. The laughs. The terrible jokes told by my dad. These are very precious moments.
- My Fiancé – I know that at my age it is fairly surprising to have a fiancé. But I am so grateful for this wonderful man! Of course, I don’t always think he’s wonderful. Sometimes he leaves his clothes all over the bedroom floor… sometimes he takes forever to do something I think is simple… and the snoring! Oh my god, don’t even get me started! But he loves, supports and feels with all his heart. Love is a powerful thing. I am very happy to have found it.
- Self-Care – I cannot talk highly enough about self-care! Whether it’s a bubble bath, shaving my legs or even just styling my hair. That can be all it takes to start my day off happy!
- Christmas – Many of us lead hectic, busy lives. So Christmas can be a word that fills us with dread! But to me, Christmas is an atmosphere that I wish I could bottle up and save for whenever I need a lift. The lights, the music, the pure excitement that radiates from children! It’s just a wonderful time of year.
- Singing – Yes, I’m one of those people that is often found dancing around the kitchen to cheesy pop! I think singing is such a great release and it always leaves me feeling so happy. It’s even better if you can convince the dog or family members to be involved!
So here you are! 10 things that make me very happy. Writing this list has been very therapeutic. If you’d like to see a little more of what I’m up to please do come say hi over on Twitter, Instagram or of course – my YouTube page.